Monday 26 April 2010

Family favourites...and a recipe

I was banging on about the chorizo, spinach and chickpea stew being a firm favourite here at the Kitchen Fairy household only last week but faced with yet another chorizo in the fridge, I decided I wanted to experiment with something else. 

As a general guideline, I aim to experiment at least one new recipe each week. If I don't challenge myself, I never cook new stuff and my repertoire becomes a bit stale. It's great to rotate favourites and it can get boring, however much you love them. So  it's also great to add to the list with new entries. Of course, in true Beyond Chocolate style, I don't beat myself up when I don't manage it. On the weeks when I'm rushed, uninspired and budget conscious, I stick to the tried and tested. 

I had some potatoes left over from the roast chicken on Sunday and some parsley from making stock. I surfed about the internet for a while and found this easy looking chorizo, potato and parsley stew on the Independent website. It's easy, quick and very tasty and went down well here at Kitchen Fairy HQ.
Kitchen Fairy tips
1) Chop the parsley quite coarsely. It isn't a garnish it's a part of the dish.

2) The better the quality of the stock, the better the end result. If you've got home made chicken stock now is the time to use it. If not, buy the fresh stuff in the tubs you find at the supermarkets. Give it a go with a stock cube. I'd be interested to hear if anyone does to know if it tastes good?

3) The recipe says salad potatoes but I had some basic whites from the supermarket. The kind that doesn't even have a name. They were floury and thickened the sauce quite a lot which I liked. I'll make it again with the firmer potatoes and see what happens.

I'll have to make a few more times before I decide whether it's going on the family favourite list but it's a definite contender!

No comments:

Post a Comment